Omnichroma shadeless dental composite
Omnichroma from Tokuyama is the world’s first shadeless dental composite for anterior and posterior applications. Combining Tokuyama’s patented “structural colour” sphere technology with their advanced resin expertise just one shadeless Omnichroma and Omnichroma Blocker is all you need to replace all 16 Vita shades of any other composite system.
Features and benefits
- No need to shade match ever again – just one syringe saves the time and cost of +20 shade matches!
- white opaque uncured appearance - clearly visible when packing and carving
- Invisible when cured
- Quicker and easier to adapt to the cavity
- Quicker and easier to polish
- No need to stock rarely used shades
- No waste of out of date materials
- Simplified reordering and inventory control
- Available in syringes and unidose PLTs
- Direct anterior and posterior restorations
- Direct bonded composite veneer
- Diastema closure
- Repair of porcelain/composite
How Omnichroma Works
What is structural colour?
Structural colour is a natural phenomenon where the shape and texture of an object affects its colour depending upon how it is viewed. It is what changes the appearance of a butterfly’s wings and peacock’s feathers etc. The structural colour of natural teeth is limited to a narrow range of red and yellow wavelengths of light.
Scientists at Tokuyama discovered that if you use spherical filler particles of a specific size in a composite you can mimic the structural colour phenomenon of natural teeth without needing to pigment the spheres themselves. To achieve this, it is vital that the filler of the composite consists of specific, single sized spherical particles and Tokuyama’s research found that 260nm spherical filler particles generate the red to yellow structural colour necessary to match natural teeth.
Consequently, shadeless Omnichroma uses a patented 260nm 'pearl' nanostructure that reflects or scatters light so that waves of certain frequencies (colours) can constructively interfere to mimic the surrounding tooth whatever its shade. Shadeless Omnichroma out chameleons a chameleon!
The Omnichroma 260nm filler 'pearls' help:
- reduce polymerisation shrinkage
- maximum compressive strength
- deliver the lowest values for surface roughness
- deliver the highest values for surface hardness
Therefore, Omnichroma’s 260nm 'pearl' size is optimised for aesthetics and mechanical properties.
Structural Colour Explained
Simple and easy to work with:
- Apply a bonding agent - Tokuyama recommend Universal Bond
- Fill with Omnichroma
- Light cure for 20 seconds
- Finish & polish
If there is intrinsic discolouration of the walls of the cavity, this can be masked out using a very thin layer of Omnichroma Blocker. This can also be used on the lingual walls of Class III cavities to give depth and to add additional opaqueness for restorations in older patients, etc. Omnichroma Blocker can also be combined with Estelite Sigma Quick, which is more translucent (clear) than Estelite Asteria, to mask dark staining too.